Tummy Tuck / Abdominoplasty in Utah
- Also known as “Abdominoplasty”
- Gets rid of excess abdominal skin
- Gets rid of lower abdominal fat
- Decreases the number of stretch marks
- Realigns separated 6-pack muscles
- Results in a tighter tummy and higher self-esteem
After changes in weight and/or pregnancy, there may be excess belly fat and skin that cannot be tightened up, even with diet and exercise. The Tummy Tuck is a popular cosmetic procedure that removes excess skin and fat from the abdomen. Usually the surgery will also realign separated muscles (the 6-pack), giving the abdominal area a more smooth and firm look.
Candidates for an Abdominoplasty
Typically, the tummy tuck candidate is one who has excess abdominal skin and fat.
Other factors include:
- Cannot change abdominal appearance with diet and exercise
- Women who are done having children
- Good physical health
- Stable weight
- Positive outlook and realistic expectations
An incision is made in the lower abdominal crease. Often a prior C-section scar can be removed at the same time. A circular incision is also made around the navel so this can be left in place while the skin and fat is lifted from the abdominal wall. The separated rectus abdominis muscles (the 6-pack) are pulled together with a series of strong sutures. The raised abdominal tissue is moved down so it can be removed with a low abdominal incision. The navel is brought through a new opening to give a natural appearance. Many of the lower abdominal stretch marks are removed during this operation.
- Taking 1-2 weeks off work is recommended
- Avoid strenuous activity for 6 weeks
- Heavy lifting is discouraged during healing process
- A compression garment is provided for support
- Pain medication is given for discomfort
- Within the next year, the redness of the scars will fade
Initially, there will be some discomfort; this lessens day by day. Pain medications will help. For the first few days it is normal to be bent forward. Within the first two weeks patients are walking straight again with a tighter tummy. The overall recovery of a tummy tuck depends on the individual patient’s health. One to two weeks off from work for recovery is suggested. A compressive garment is used for 6 weeks. Strenuous activities, exercise and sports are discouraged for the first 6 weeks while the healing tissues have a chance to become stronger. The scars will be red to begin with and fade over the next year.
Results will vary with each patient. A lifestyle that is active and healthy will help to better maintain this new Tummy Tuck appearance. A proper diet and regular exercise will decrease unwanted weight gain and increase quality-of-life.
Call Fairbanks Plastic Surgery at (801) 951-8099 today to schedule your consultation for your Tummy Tuck.