Arm Lift Overview
- Also known as Brachioplasty
- Decreases excess upper arm skin (bat wings)
- Shapes the upper arm
- The scar is along the inside of the arm
- Liposuction may be an option for younger patients
- Recovery depends on the patient
- One to two weeks off of work is suggested
- Compression garment is worn to decrease swelling
- Heavy lifting and active lifestyle can resume after 6 weeks
Arm Lift / Brachioplasty in Bountiful
Many are embarrassed to raise their arms because of all the extra hanging skin that swings back and forth like “bat wings.” Excess arm skin comes with aging and a decrease in the skin’s elasticity. This is worse after weight loss. The disproportionate amounts of extra skin and fat in the upper arms may interfere with many activities and limit clothing options. The Brachioplasty or Arm Lift in Bountiful will improve the appearance of the upper arm.
Candidates for Arm Lift Surgery in Bountiful
Typically, the Arm Lift candidate is one who has:
- Excess upper arm skin
- Excess upper arm fat
Other factors include:
- Stable weight
- Good physical health
- Positive outlook and realistic expectations
Details of the Arm Lift procedure
To start Brachioplasty surgery in Bountiful an incision is made on the inside of the arm from the arm pit to the elbow. Some modifications of the incision may be determined on an individual basis. The excess skin and fat are freed from the underlying arm structures while muscle nerves and vessels are protected. The excess skin and fat are removed and the arm is closed, leaving the scar in a natural groove. Your sutures are placed beneath the skin, where they will be gradually absorbed by your body. A sterile dressing and a compression garment will be applied over the dressings.
Younger patients may just need Liposuction of the arms since they have the elasticity of the skin that allows the upper arm to shrink down without the excess flabby skin.
Recovery after Arm Lift Surgery
- 1-2 weeks off work is recommended
- Excessive motion of the arms is discouraged during healing process
- A compressive garment helps with swelling
- Heavy lifting discouraged during healing process
- Exercise and sports are discouraged for the first 6 weeks
- Pain medication is given for discomfort
After an Arm Lift in Bountiful, there will be some form of discomfort;. this improves daily. Pain medications will help. The overall recovery of an Arm Lift depends on the patient’s health. One to two weeks off from work for recovery is suggested. A compressive garment is used after the Brachioplasty surgery in Bountiful to decrease swelling. Strenuous activities, exercise and sports are discouraged for the first 6 weeks while the healing tissues have a chance to become stronger. The scars will be red to begin with and fade over the next year.
Will my Results Last?
Results will vary with each patient. A lifestyle that is active and healthy will help to better maintain this new upper arm appearance. This procedure will help with form-fitting clothes and may provide for a better self-image.
Call Fairbanks Plastic Surgery at 801-951-8099 today to schedule your consultation for your Arm Lift.