Gynecomastia / “Man Boobs” Utah
- Enlargement of male breast tissue
- Affects one or both sides of the chest
- Occurs typically in Infancy, Teenagers, and Ages 50-70
- Embarrassing condition
- Many causes can be avoided
- Definitive treatment is surgery
- The surgery results in a grateful patient
Treatment and surgery for Gynecomastia in Bountiful and Salt Lake City, Utah
Gynecomastia is the enlargement of the male breast, and is sometimes jokingly referred to as “Man Boobs”. This can be a result of excess localized fat and / or glandular tissue. It may affect one or both sides of the chest. Gynecomastia is a common deformity and can be a source of discomfort and embarrassment for males who are afflicted with it. The definitive treatment for gynecomastia is a surgical procedure in Bountiful and Salt Lake called a male breast reduction or subcutaneous mastectomy.
Causes of Gynecomastia
Include but not limited to:
- Hormonal changes
- Use of certain Medications
- Anabolic steroids and androgens
- Ulcer medications,
- Cimetidine (Tagamet HB)
- Gastric motility medications
- Metoclopramide (Reglan).
- Anti-androgens used to treat prostate conditions
- finasteride (Proscar, Propecia)
- spironolactone (Aldactone)
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- AIDS medications.
- Efavirenz (Sustiva) – more common
- Anti-anxiety medications
- Diazepam (Valium)
- Heart medications
- Digoxin (Lanoxin)
- Calcium channel blockers(diltiazem, verapamil, nifedipine)
- Cancer treatment (chemotherapy)
- Use of Alcohol and Street drugs
Gynecomastia is a condition in which there is a response of the male breast due to a decrease in the amount of the hormone testosterone compared to estrogen. This results in an enlargement disk of breast tissue behind the nipple, causing enlarged, frequently painful breast and protuberant nipples. Excess weight is also a cause of larger “Man Boobs”, which are mainly fat. Several causes are listed above.
Gynecomastia can be typically seen during 3 phases of a male’s life:
- Infancy – Due to the effects of the circulating mother’s estrogen. Typically resolves within two to three weeks after birth.
- Puberty – Relatively common due to hormone changes during puberty. Often the swollen breast tissue will resolve without need for treatment within 3-18 months.
- Older men – Third peak of prevalence between the ages of 50-70. Due to decreased circulating testosterone. Affects approximately 25 of this age group.
Candidates Gynecomastia Surgery in Bountiful and Salt Lake City, Utah
- Enlarged breast tissue
- Asymmetric breast tissue
- Tenderness of enlarged breast tissue
- Pronounced nipple(s)
- Within 30-40 pounds of ideal body weight
- Commit to abstaining from substances known to cause Gynecomastia to include:
- Anabolic Steroids
- Excess Alcohol
- Other drugs listed above
Details of corrective Gynecomastia Surgery in Utah
The goal of Gynecomastia Surgery in Bountiful and Salt Lake City is to remove the excess male breast tissue. Male breast reduction in Bountiful and Salt Lake City can be accomplished through a small incision around along the lower outside of the nipple. The excessive breast tissue is removed leaving a small pad of breast tissue under the nipple. This helps to ensure adequate blood circulation and to avoid indentation of the nipple. After the unwanted breast tissue is removed and sent to a pathologist for examination. Surgery for Gynecomastia is also known as a male breast reduction or subcutaneous mastectomy. Surgery for Gynecomastia is predictable and has a high degree of patient satisfaction.
Male breast enlargement caused by excess fatty tissue only, is treated with liposuction followed by an elastic compression. For the enlarged hanging male breast, excision of some excess skin may be required during male breast reduction in Bountiful and Salt Lake City. All of the surgeries for Gynecomastia in Bountiful and Salt Lake City are highly successful operations and brings satisfactory results to the patient.
Recovery after Gynecomastia Surgery in Utah
- After Gynecomastia Surgery, 7-10 days off of work is suggested
- Pain medications and guarded use of the arms help with any discomfort
- Heavy lifting is discouraged, greater than 10 pounds for 4-6 weeks
- Avoid strenuous sports and other activities for 6 weeks
- Swelling decreases from 3 weeks to 3 months
- The redness of the scars fade over 12 months
What can I expect after Gynecomastia Surgery in Utah?
After Gynecomastia surgery, instructions are provided regarding activities and limitations. Overall, the Gynecomastia patient finds satisfaction with a more normal appearance. Best of all, we find satisfied patients.
Gynecomastia surgery results last?
Gynecomastia Surgery results are satisfying. Male breast reduction in Bountiful and Salt Lake City provides desirable outcomes for years to come. The results may alter with age, weight gain and weight loss, and the use of substances known to cause Gynecomastia as noted above.
Call for your consultation with Fairbanks Plastic Surgery about Gynecomastia Surgery in Bountiful or Salt Lake City at (801) 951-8099.
Breast lift / Mastopexy
Plastic Surgery for Males